Category: Travel


A “reckless” driver chased a car before he crashed his company 4×4 into another vehicle, leaving two young sisters paralysed from the waist down.

Five-year-old Katrina Raiba and eight-year-old Karlina were travelling in their father’s Vauxhall Signum when they suffered life-changing injuries in the smash.

Video from the dashboard camera of the victims’ car showed Andrew Nay’s Land Rover Discovery veer towards them on the A509 near Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, last October.

The footage helped convict Nay who witnesses said made an “absolutely ridiculous” right-hand turn across oncoming traffic just before the crash.

The trial was told Nay had been tailgating and “bullying” a woman driving a Mazda people carrier.

Other drivers claimed Nay’s car was so close they could not see its headlights in their rear-view mirrors.

Nay, of Corby, Northamptonshire, who has worked for Land Rover as a lead off-road driving instructor, was seen laughing and smiling with his passenger before the collision, Northampton Crown Court heard.

Motorist Fraser Hopes’ Mercedes was undertaken by Nay as he waited to turn into the B547 near Little Harrowden.

Mr Hopes told the trial: “There were two gentlemen in the car. They looked to me as if they were smiling and having a joke, having a laugh.”

Nay admitted four counts of causing serious injury by dangerous driving but denied chasing the Mazda.

He claimed he had noticed “nothing in particular” during his journey in his Land Rover and was turning towards a garden centre.

But Judge Adrienne Lucking QC rejected Nay’s testimony, ruling he crashed while chasing the Mazda and “harried” the car after being prevented from leaving a roundabout on the A14.

Nay was told an immediate custodial sentence will be at the forefront of the court’s mind when he is sentenced on Friday.

Karlina and Katrina’s parents, Roberts Raibais and Renate Raiba, originally from Latvia, said their lives had been “completely shattered” by Nay’s actions and no sentence would be enough.

The couple, who suffered broken bones, said: “Andrew Nay’s reckless actions had devastating consequences for our two beautiful daughters.

“Katrina and Karlina were happy, active children and he has robbed them of that.

“We will never be able to forgive him.

“Every day they ask ‘when will we start feeling our legs again?’ They think it’s going to get better and it’s too hard to tell them.”

Source: Young Girls Paralysed After Driver’s Car Chase

Advertisements

A man has been arrested by police after five teenagers were “randomly” squirted with acid on a train station platform – leaving one potentially blinded in one eye.

Five pals aged between 16 and 18 were all taken to hospital following the attack at Ockenden station in Essex in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Lee Elliott, 17, may permanently lose the sight in his left eye and one other teenager suffered potentially life-changing injuries.

Another friend was also treated for horrific injuries to his mouth and tongue.

Officers said a man, who was travelling towards Barking with nine other men, left the train and approached the teenagers who were waiting on the platform.

Source: Ockendon train station acid attack: Man arrested after five teens left with sickening burns – Mirror Online

south-ockendon

Five teenagers were sprayed with suspected acid in a horrifying attack at an Essex train station.

The five friends – aged 16 to 18 – were targeted with dangerous chemicals at South Ockendon in the early hours of Sunday in an unprovoked assault.

One of the boys, 17-year-old Lee Elliott, is reportedly in danger of losing his sight in one eye after the substance was thrown in his face.

Another 17-year-old suffered potentially life-changing burns to his mouth and tongue and the three others, aged 16, 17 and 18, sustained minor injuries to the face or hands.

Police say a man jumped off a train which was passing through the station and squirted the boys, before getting back onto the service.

He was travelling with up to nine others who stayed on the train, officers said.

They have released a CCTV still of a man they want to speak to over the attack at about 12.40am on Sunday.

Source: Five teens sprayed with ‘acid’ in random train station attack | Crime | News | London Evening Standard

stmargs

A person has died after being struck by a train at a south-west London station.

Emergency services were called to St Margarets, between Richmond and Twickenham, short after 10am.

British Transport Police said paramedics pronounced the person dead at the scene.

A spokesman added: “The person’s death is not being treated as suspicious and officers are now working to identify them and inform their family.”

The incident caused rail disruption, which operator South West Trains said may affect services into Waterloo until 4pm on Tuesday.

Source: Twickenham delays: Person dies after being hit by train at south-west London station | Transport | News | London Evening Standard

An Australian law firm has filed a compensation claim against Russia and President Vladimir Putin in the European Court of Human Rights on behalf of families of victims of Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17, shot down in 2014, media reported.

The jetliner crashed in Ukraine in pro-Russian rebel-held territory on July 17, 2014, killing all 298 people on board, including 28 Australians.

The aircraft, which was en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, was shot down by a Russian-made surface-to-air missile, the Dutch Safety Board concluded in its final report late last year.

Fighting was raging in eastern Ukraine between Russian-backed separatists and Ukrainian government forces when the aircraft was downed and many Western experts and governments blamed the rebels.

Australia’s Fairfax media reported on Saturday that 33 next of kin were of victims named in an application by Sydney law firm LHD Lawyers, representing people from Australia, New Zealand and Malaysia.

The application was filed on May 9 and names the Russian Federation and Putin as respondents and seeks $10 million in compensation per passenger, the report said.

The Dutch Safety Board, which was not empowered to address questions of responsibility, did not point the finger at any group or party for launching the missile.

“So far we don’t have (such information)” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told Interfax news agency when asked to comment on reports of the compensation claim.

Malaysia, the Netherlands, Australia, Belgium and Ukraine have been exploring alternative options, including trials in international and national courts, after Russia vetoed a United Nations bid in July 2015 to form a tribunal.

Reuters could not immediately reach LHD Lawyers for comment.

Source: Australian firm names Russia, Putin in MH17 compensation claim – report | Reuters

%d bloggers like this: