Category: Farcebook


Streisand effect?

Facebook has deleted a post by the Norwegian prime minister in an escalating row over the website’s decision to remove content featuring the Pulitzer-prize winning “napalm girl” photograph from the Vietnam war.

Erna Solberg, the Conservative prime minister, called on Facebook to “review its editing policy” after it deleted her post voicing support for a Norwegian newspaper that had fallen foul of the social media giant’s guidelines.

Solberg was one of a string of Norwegian politicians who shared the iconic image after Facebook deleted a post from Tom Egeland, a writer who had included the Nick Ut picture as one of seven photographs he said had “changed the history of warfare”.

Egeland was subsequently suspended from Facebook and his standoff with the social media giant was reported by the daily newspaper Aftenposten, which used the same image in its reporting of the story and itself came under pressure from Facebook to delete the picture.

Aftenposten’s editor-in-chief, Espen Egil Hansen, said the newspaper had received a message from Facebook asking it to “either remove or pixelize” the photograph. He refused and wrote an open letter to Mark Zuckerberg saying he was failing to live up to his role as “the world’s most powerful editor”.

In her intervention on Friday, the Norwegian prime minister wrote that the photograph, entitled The Terror of War and featuring the naked nine-year-old Kim Phúc running away from a napalm attack, had “shaped world history”.

Solberg added: “I appreciate the work Facebook and other media do to stop content and pictures showing abuse and violence … But Facebook is wrong when they censor such images.”

Source: Facebook deletes Norwegian PM’s post as ‘napalm girl’ row escalates | Technology | The Guardian

Advertisements

Two teenagers who plotted to kidnap babies by offering free designer children’s clothes through a fake Facebook page have been sentenced to 12 months behind bars.

Holly Kelland, 18, set up a profile under a different name with the aim of contacting mothers with young children.

Together with school friend Codie Farrar, 17, Kelland tried to lure in targets by telling them they had won prizes, including designer baby clothes, in fictitious raffles.

The pair managed to convince one mother to hand over her home address and Farrar later visited, pretending to be a social worker who needed to take the baby away for a ‘medical assessment’.

However the woman became suspicious when Farrar held the baby’s head incorrectly and notified social services.

Police later arrested the teenager, who said Kelland had recruited her to try and kidnap the baby.

Both girls were handed 12-month detention orders after previously admitting to conspiracy to kidnap three babies, identified only as ‘U’, ‘S’ and ‘W’, in September last year.

Kelland, of Wolverhampton, also admitted to three further counts of fraud by false representation.

Sentencing the girls at Derby Youth Court, District Judge Jonathan Taaffe said: ‘By its very nature this is a case of extreme seriousness.

‘A plan was hatched to kidnap a baby and not followed through, and fortunately it was only the alertness of the mother that prevented the actual kidnap taking place.

‘It was not a momentary decision but a prolonged period of action which involved setting up of a fake Facebook account to obtain details of new-born babies and families’ details.

‘It involved travelling to areas far away from home, and masquerading as a social worker.

‘The baby was held by Codie, who was pretending to be a health care professional, and the distress caused to the babies and their mothers should not be underestimated.’

The court heard that three new mothers were regularly asked for their addresses in conversations with Kelland and Farrar who operated under the fake Facebook profile.

Source: Two girls jailed for trying to kidnap babies by luring mothers by offering free kids clothes | Daily Mail Online

Thousands of social media users have pledged to deactivate their Facebook accounts, or to turn their profile photos red, in an effort to draw attention to the Syrian government’s air offensive in Aleppo.

The hashtags #MakeFacebookRed and #AleppoIsBurning were being used to highlight the ongoing offensive, which has killed more than 240 people over the past week and forced many families to flee.

Source: #AleppoIsBurning: Calls to boycott Facebook over Aleppo – AJE News

illma-gore

Today I was punched in the face by a man who got out of his car and yelled, “Trump 2016!” in Los Angeles, just days after I returned home from London and just down the road from my house. Though I encourage passion, opinion and emotion, especially though art, I think violence is disgusting.

To live in a place where Facebook has given my address to an anonymous third party makes me feel like I am homeless again. This type of violence makes creatives feel like we live in a world where our individual creative input isn’t safe.

I am sad that this is the state of our America right now. I am sad that Trump, and many of his supporters, don’t find words enough to express their opinions – they need walls, waterboarding and punches. @realdonaldtrump,Please stop glamorizing and perpetuating violence. Make America Decent Again! ‪#‎makeamericadecentagain‬

No, they have not been caught, and the men drove off laughing. A detailed police report has been filed.

Here’s the full text, translated by Rappler:

“All the women were raped so during the first assault, because they retreated, the bodies they used as a cover, one of them was the corpse of the Australian woman layminister. Tsk, this is a problem. When the bodies were brought out, they were wrapped. I looked at her face, son of a bitch, she looks like a beautiful American actress. Son of a bitch, what a waste. What came to mind was, they raped her, they lined up. I was angry because she was raped, that’s one thing. But she was so beautiful, the mayor should have been first. What a waste. “

In a Facebook post Monday, the Australian Embassy in the Philippines wrote, “Rape and murder should never be joked about or trivialised. Violence against women and girls is unacceptable anytime, anywhere.”

The Australians were not the only ones with strong words for Duterte.

In response, one of the opposing presidential candidates in the May 9 election, Manuel “Mar” Roxas II, said, “Anyone who laughs at the ultimate assault on the dignity of women should not be allowed to wield power,” CNN Philippines reported.

Sen. Grace Poe, another candidate quoted by CNN Philippines, said: “It is distasteful and unacceptable, and reflects his disrespect for women. No one, whoever she is and whatever her looks may be, deserves to be raped and abused. Rape is a crime and no laughing matter. We should all be outraged at abuses against women.”

Robin Haines Merrill, who worked with Hamill in the country as a missionary, posted a statement on Facebook:

“ON BEHALF OF MY SISTER IN CHRIST, MISSIONARY JACQUELINE HAMILL, I PUBLICALLY DENOUNCE THE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDACY OF DUTERTE, IN THE PHILIPPINES. Jacqueline was raped and had her throat slit while ministering in the jails in southern Philippines in a 1989 hostage taking. Duterte was recorded this week saying in his political rally that while he ordered the killing of the hostage takers while he was mayor, he wished he could have raped her first, since she was so beautiful. Looking back on this photo, I realize ministering in jails as a woman is very risky and looks outright naive, like the ‘you got what was coming to you’ mentality that is prevalent today. But all ministry and everyday LIFE is a big risk, and we must be obedient to the voice of the spirit of God, even if it leads us to death.”

Philippine Vice President Jejomar Binay took to Twitter to unabashedly state his discontent with Duterte.

Source: The dark, cruel joke about rape that derailed a presidential campaign | Asia | News | The Independent

%d bloggers like this: